5 Odd but Delicious and Healthy Food Combinations
Author: Ronnie Neiman
Healthy eating has become a staple of popular culture in recent years. There are a variety of options for healthy food choices in numerous food stores, you just need to know what to look for and know what is good to eat. Even in knowing that, there are some strange foods available that look strange, taste odd or even smell bad.
Trying new things is a great way to discover more healthy food choices for your diet. It is always important to know what certain foods can offer you can be enlightening and lead to new healthy food items to add to your regular menu.
The foods listed below list several foods packed full of nutrients, are low on calories in some cases and can be found at most food stores or culturally specific markets. These foods can be eaten on their own depending on your tastes, or combined with other ingredients to make them both a healthy and tasty option.
- Durian Fruit Paste with Pumpkin Spice.
- The fruit is Asian in origin, more specifically Thailand, so in western countries like the United States and Canada, the place to get the fruit is in Asian food markets.
- Durian fruit while full of vitamins and acids such as oleic acid and palmitic acid, it has one major barrier to its regular use in meals; it smells a lot.
- If you can avoid the smell, it does taste rather good. Turning the fruit into a paste and adding some pumpkin spice helps to lessen the intensity of the smell, and to keep it as a healthy food choice.
- Quinoa with Spinach Leaves and Lemon Juice.
- Recent times have seen an increase in the popularity of quinoa as it is a grain that is also gluten-free and is available in many food stores.
- The common grain is full of numerous nutrients and a wonderful source of fiber too. An extremely useful food item that can be used in many snacks and meals.
- When you add spinach leaves, which is a high source of healthy vitamins itself and lemon juice, which adds to the flavor and out both in a bowl of quinoa, it gives you great health benefits. But remember to only add a few drops of lemon juice, or it lessens the health benefits.
- Guava Juice and Mango Chunks.
- Guava is a fruit commonly found in tropical regions such as the Caribbean and Mexico. The juice is commonly found in food stores, but you might need to search a bit to find the fruit itself at food markets.
- The fruit is rich in fiber and vitamin C, as well as folic acids. It is also low in calories considering its high source of nutrients.
- Having the fruit in juice form and adding small mango chunks, which is a good source of potassium makes for a delicious and nutritious drink.
- It is a supplement loaded with a number of nutrients and antioxidants that are not only good for your body but also for your brain. Spirulina may possibly be one of the healthiest foods available to humans and it’s quite common around the world.
- It may seem to be a strange food source as it’s a cyanobacteria, part of the family of single-celled microbes, also known as blue-green algae, which may seem unappealing at first.
- It can be eaten in its natural state, or in a powder. It is a fantastic ingredient to add to a smoothie, a guacamole dip or even to a fruit salad.
- Star Fruit.
- The fruit can be found in sour or sweet varieties and eaten with or without the peel. Both the fruit and the peel are healthy and loaded with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
- The problem with this fruit is that those with kidney problems or taking certain kinds of prescription meds can’t always enjoy the benefits of star fruit, so if you do want to have some of the fruit, be sure to consult with a physician before consuming any.
- Star fruit can be eaten on its own, or added to salads, used as a garnish, or turned into pies or jam. It has a lot of uses and benefits.
All these food options are considered strange to those not used to the appearance, taste, or smell of these foods. They contain an abundance and variety of vitamins, proteins, healthy fats, and other wonderful nutrients for your body.
New foods to add to your meals is always good when it’s packed full of nutrients like these ones are, and it can be quite the adventure to try them out until you find something you like.
Enjoy these odd but delicious and healthy food combinations!